Do-it-yourself foundation waterproofing
owning your own home is not easy. Especially if you are not a professional, you do not have complete knowledge, you are not so cleverly using the tool. And you are building the house for the first time. I think there are a lot of such entry-level masters. But do not blame them for mistakes. After all, the passionate desire to create and build simply does not give rest. Then they, like me, have to skip everything through personal experience. So, it happened when waterproofing the foundation with my own hands, which I did not start at the best moment. However, the true indicators of the correctness of certain actions is considered to be the situation when work is easy, fun and fast. On the other hand, the people already have a proverb - you go quieter, you will continue. And my story with a couple of bright photos will describe a pen test with all the failures and positive moments.The materials I purchased were fresh, free of defects. This is the main question when choosing even expensive building material.
The point of protecting the foundation from moistureEverything is clear, you will say. After all, the meaning of waterproofing the foundation is to protect. The fact is that concrete, no matter how prime it may be, is designed for a limited number of freezing cycles.The internal humidity of the screed reduces this quantity in equal proportion. Since with every freezing the foundation with internal moisture is destroyed at accelerated rates. Insulation cuts off water sources. The operational period is increasing. The second serious trouble with which waterproofing fights is the formation of mold and fungi. Their environment is created by high humidity. Of course, without proper protection.
Nodal moments of water cut-off from concreteDuring capital construction, methods for waterproofing concrete screed were developed:
- Trenching with ruberoid.
- Addition of water repellent additives to cement mortar.
- Treatment of the visible part of the foundation with spent fuel.
- Laying of roofing material on top of the screed.
- Application of bitumen materials.
- On my construction site, the primer lies deep, and the soil consists of sand.
- The second reason is more trivial. It lies in the desire to save money, without buying, as it seemed to me, the extra meters of roofing material.
- I used concrete additives in the form of liquid glass. The result did not keep itself waiting. Water repellency manifested.
Overview of basic materials for waterproofing screedWhat I knew about them at the time of using the materials. The roofing material is roofing paperboard. It is impregnated with oil products. In particular, bitumen. And in two layers: 1. The inner one is soft bitumen. 2. External - refractory. To increase the strength of the use of external powder. The advantages of this product are:
- Self-sustainability compliance.
- Provides waterproofing and vapor barrier.
- He is afraid of direct sunlight. Therefore, requires finishing plaster. Although not always.
- The material located in the ground is protected with asbestos cement sheets. Not always, either.
- Ruberoid does not tolerate caking.The problem is solved by storing in an upright position.
- Mastic is easily smeared on concrete.
- It has a good adhesive effect.
- Does not emit an unpleasant smell . Although all the work was done on the street. Among the minuses, I highlight those that I could not cope with because of inexperience:
- Mastic gets very dirty. You need to be careful or wear protective clothing,which is not a pity.
- Long drying. In the open sun, it lasts a day, but under ruberoid, the drying time is several days. It depends on air temperature and humidity.
- Does not tolerate contact with water. It was my poor experience. About him further.
- The bond strength is 0.1 MPa. This applies to concrete, metal, wood.
- Water absorption per day 2% by weight.
- Water resistance is positive. The conditions for time and pressure are 72 hours and 0.001 MPa, respectively.
- The proportion of nonvolatile substances from 75 to 90%.
- The temperature of use is from -10 to +40.
- The layer dries day. My observations confirm a longer drying time.
Technological process of waterproofing the strip foundationInsulation by means of roofing material is divided into horizontal and vertical cutoff.From the name it is clear that the vertical protection is attached to the inner side of the wooden formwork. I will miss her description because I didn’t. Although this is not difficult:
- The required size of the ruberoid flaps is measured.
- The strips are cut off taking into account overlaps.
- Are fastened to wood on a construction stapler.
- A hard brush for cleaning a concrete surface.
- Gloves. li>
- Metal spatula.
- Painting brush.
- Stick for stirring mastic.
- Knife for cutting roofing material
- Here it is impossible to make mistakes in the sizes of segments of bituminouscardboard.
- It is necessary to correctly mark the overlaps.
- After cutting all the shreds, proceed to applying mastic. axis. This is an insurance against jumping off the material from the trowel. You can apply on concrete in several ways:
- A lot on distributed areas with further spreading.
- Little by little. But, doing this consistently, creating a thin layer.
- You do not need to overdo it with the layer thickness. As the manufacturer himself warns that the layer will not dry or will flow when the air temperature is high.
- Next, the sheets are stacked one after another.
Waterproofing errorsDuring work, it started to rain. Part of the surface of the basement with applied mastic wet. Bitumen just spread in the water.I did not expect this. That is, he treaded across the wet area. I fixed the position by drying with the help of a building dryer. But this is also not the best option. With such an error, the work should be stopped before the time of natural drying of the concrete. But I decided to take a chance by drying the surface. Then, glued a piece of ruberoid. The layer dries very long. Fortunately, the month was hot. Among other minor errors I single out:
- Incorrect cutting of roofing material. I wanted to save money, but it turned out the opposite.
- Disposal of a paint brush. She, too, was worth the money.
- Inaccuracy, because of which he dirtied his gloves.
ConclusionA practical builder will have a reasonable question, is it permissible to issue a responsible site of waterproofing? For me, the answer is simple. Yes and no. In the first case, the reasons are as follows:
- This is my first experience without help.
- The area of the house and the volume of concrete pouringare relatively small for significant monetary costs.
- The load on the foundation is small.
- The groundwater table is deep.
Laugh heartily over anecdotes in the company of friends, and let the whole world wait
My martyr often leave for the commanders to Moscow, he never went before, now once a month even more often
What is a dictionary
Which thermogun buy
What dreams of skates
45-year-old Gwyneth Paltrow posted a naked pregnant photo