Tips for choosing a normal hostel
If you prefer a rich and budget holiday, then the best accommodation option for you will be hostel accommodation. But in order to live in acceptable conditions and avoid trouble, you should know some features of the choice.
What is a hostel?
Translated from English, the word "hostel" is translated as "hostel", so the name fully captures the essence. The hostel is a popular accommodation option in Europe, providing for the provision of accommodation for a short or long term. But such housing in most cases represents only a sleeping place, and all amenities are intended for general use and are usually located outside the room, for example, in the corridor.
To the note: the very first hostel in the world was opened at the beginning of the last century in Germany, and it was created by a simple school teacher for low-income students who were vacationing outside the city.
Types of hostels
What are the hostels? Conventionally, they can be divided into several types:
- The traditional ones have a usual format for housing, namely dormitories, as well as a bathroom and a kitchen designed for use by all guests. But in some such establishments there are rooms with separate shower and toilet, as well as single rooms.
- International hostels are under the control of the International Association, which includes more than 90 branches worldwide and unites about 4.5 thousand institutions, mainly youth. Some hostels are focused on schoolchildren, others open their doors to tourists. The main advantage of this type - guarantees for the guests and the protection of their rights, as well as certain rules of residence.
- Independent hostels are in no way connected with the International Association and are usually found in popular resorts and are oriented towards tourists. Prices, as well as the rules and conditions of residence in most cases are not regulated.
- Apartment hostels appeared relatively recently after the approval of such activities. They can be located in multi-apartment houses and often have access through a common entrance.
- There are also so-called boutique hostels,which differ from all others by the original design. So, they can be styled as a castle, a ship or a submarine.
- Recently, capsule hostels that are very popular in Japan have started to spread around the world. Instead of beds, individual capsules are provided. On the one hand, it is convenient and economical, but people who suffer from claustrophobia will not appreciate this innovation.
How to make the right choice?
How to choose a good hostel? This is very important, especially if you are abroad. And in order not to be mistaken and get only positive impressions from the rest, consider several important criteria.
First of all, you should pay attention to the conditions of placement:
- The number of seats in the room. The more of them, the lower the cost of one bed, but the greater the inconvenience in the form of snoring, suffering from insomnia or bad-smelling neighbors.
- Comfort in the rooms. So, in some there are air conditioners, which in summer will be very handy. And there are rooms without windows, and they will be extremely uncomfortable because of stale air, unpleasant smell and insufficient lighting.Beds should also be assessed: the preferred option is wooden (metal can squeak heavily, especially old ones).
- Purity. Being in a dirty room is extremely unpleasant.
- Are the numbers closed? If there is a lock, then each guest should be provided with a key or a more modern version - a map.
- The presence of the kitchen, its size and arrangement. In general, the kitchen in the hostel is a big plus, because in it the guests can cook, which will save on food. And if the room is large, then it will not be closely for several people. Also pay attention to the filling of the kitchen: the more appliances and utensils in it, the better.
- A bathroom and a shower. If there is only one toilet on the floor or on the whole building, then this can be a nuisance, as well as the absence of a shower.
- Rules of conduct in the hostel. It is good if they are installed, because their compliance with the guests is a kind of guarantee of maximum comfort. For example, if tourists are not allowed to litter in the kitchen, to arrive later than 23:00, make noise, indecently behave or bring to the guest room, then everyone will be calm. But the rules are not so much important as the control of their observance.The tenants should be supervised by administrators or other employees.
- Luggage storage will ensure your safety and security of property, so this is a big plus.
- Reception. If there is a counter behind which an employee is located, you can clarify points of interest to you and get answers to your questions.
Some services are included in the price, while others are charged separately. And their list can be very extensive:
- Food. Breakfast may be included in the price, but lunches and dinners are usually paid separately. But in some hostels food is not provided at all.
- Linens. In advance, find out if it is included in the price of the place, or it will have to be paid separately.
- Round-the-clock reception desk. This service is useful if you decide to move in or learn something at night.
- Room service. Usually the cleaning of rooms is the responsibility of employees, but it can be paid separately, for example, if it is carried out unscheduled.
- Separate accommodation: boys and girls are placed separately, which is quite logical and convenient.
- The Internet. In informatizirovannyh hostels tourists have access to the Internet, and often free.
This selection criterion is also very important.For example, in hostels located in the city center, prices are much higher. But such savings may be conditional, because if you settle on the outskirts, you will have to get to the center and popular tourist places, and public transport in some resort areas is a great luxury for an ordinary budget traveler. In addition, in some remote corners of the stops or routes may simply not be.
Also it is necessary to take into account the surrounding of the hostel. So, if it is located on a waste ground or in a criminal area, then the path to it will be dangerous. And if there are nightclubs or brothels nearby (yes, in some resorts there are any), this will cause discomfort. But such a neighborhood as schools, municipal institutions or hotels will come in handy.
Tip: find the middle ground and choose a hostel located near the center, but not in the heart of the city.
To stay in a hostel cheaply and comfortably, follow these simple rules:
- Find out if the hostel has its own website. Its presence is a big plus.
- Description of the institution. If not, it should be alerted.Diligent owners provide guests with the opportunity to get acquainted with all the conditions and services in advance, which minimizes the risks of unpleasant surprises.
- Read reviews about the hostel. You can find them either on the institution's website, or on resources dedicated to tourism, or on thematic forums. The more positive opinions, the better.
- Do not choose the first available option, even if it suits you. Compare several hostels to find the best one.
- Before paying and checking in, ask the administrator to show you all the rooms, kitchen, bathroom and other common areas. Otherwise, some of the nuances may be unexpected for you.
- Find out in advance the guarantees provided to tourists, such as the protection of their rights, the possibility of returning money if conditions are inconsistent and others.
- In some hostels, a deposit is required, which is returned after the eviction to the guest. And this should not scare you.
- Be sure to require a contract to prove your rights if necessary.
- Specify the terms of payment, as well as entry and exit. So, in some institutions, the settlement and eviction is carried out at certain hours, and the amount is paid per day. In other hostels hourly pay.
We can only wish all the tourists a comfortable stay and a great holiday!
Help me find Perfume
Photo frame made of paper Origami do-it-yourself gift
How to get to Vidnoe
The main problems that a woman may face after giving birth
What distinguishes male humor from female