Is it realistic to learn to draw with sand?
Drawing is a fascinating and very useful activity. Did you know that you can draw not only with paints, pencils or felt-tip pens, but also with sand? Find out how to do it!
What is this technique and how did it appear?
Drawing with sand or, as such a direction is called in English, Sand Art is a unique technique that allows you to create whole masterpieces using the most common sand. Of course, some other devices are required, and the most important role is played by the talent of the artist.
It is believed that sand painting as an art originated in the last century. In 1969, Carolyn Leaf, which everyone now considers to be a real pioneer, created the first small animated picture, or rather the plot “Sand, or Peter and the Wolf.
And the audience was so pleased with the magic that can be created with the help of the most ordinary sand that the technology began to actively develop. And yet it became really popular only in the last few years.
What is required?
What do you need to draw with sand?
- Since all the drawings are created on the glass, then, first of all, prepare the surface of their material. This can be a table with a glass top or an improvised device that can be made from a regular drawer. Remove its bottom, and close the top with glass, and certainly matte, such a background will be the most optimal.
- Backlight for the base. Lamps are suitable, but only daylight. This is necessary to ensure that the image is clear and bright. If you use a box with a glass surface, then you can mount the fixtures directly into it, then you will get a ready-made convenient screen, and it will become an ideal basis for creations.
- If you use a box, then you need some kind of support, the role of which can play a very ordinary table.
- As for the seating position, any comfortable chair or armchair is suitable, but some artists prefer to create standing, to have maximum freedom of action and actively move (and this will certainly be required, especially in the gusts of inspiration).
- Sand, that is, the main material used for drawing.In general, experienced artists recommend the use of fine volcanic sand, it has perfect flowability, and its grains are so small that you can draw even the smallest and most subtle details. But if you are just starting to master such art, then ordinary river sand will do as well. But before using it, rinse it well to remove all trash and then dry it thoroughly.
How to draw?
How to learn to draw sand? To do this, you can enroll in courses and get training from a professional artist to master the basics of technology and further hone your skills.
Usually, lessons take place in several stages: first, the basic techniques are mastered, then the coach learns to create full-fledged images, and then a course of animated drawing can be completed (with its help, you can create meaningful plots and play them up in dynamics). And you can view a few tutorial videos or learn step by step instructions.
Now you can start the creative process:
- To get started, prepare your workplace: put a screen on a support, turn on the lamps, prepare a tank with sand, relax and try to catch a wave of inspiration.
- Now just start creating.And do not expect that you get a masterpiece or just a beautiful picture. First you need to learn how to use sand, feel it delicately, control your own hands and plan movements a few steps forward. Master all the basic techniques. The most common among them is drawing with the palm of your hand (thus, usually extensive details or backgrounds are created), the edge of the palm, the fist, the rib of the thumb, the little finger, the pinch, the punching (sand distribution on the screen in a thin trickle), cutting off the excess. When you hone such techniques, you can draw simultaneously with several fingers or, for example, symmetrically and simultaneously with both hands.
- Continue to sharpen your skills.
Advantages and disadvantages
Sand painting has a number of undeniable advantages:
- This is very useful, especially for children. Such an activity is suitable for hyperactive kids, as it will allow you to throw out energy and relax a little, as well as have fun. In addition, psychologists recommend sand painting to children who are lagging behind or who have diseases of the central nervous system. But for adults, this technique is also very useful,because it allows you to improve coordination of movements, develop your imagination and learn to think creatively, and all this can be useful in life.
- This is a great reassure. Even the very feeling of the sand, poured in your hands, acts peacefully. And some compare sand painting with a kind of meditation. Indeed, in the process of creating a picture you can immerse yourself in your thoughts or, on the contrary, completely get rid of them.
- It's just beautiful! Even watching the artist from the outside is amazing. And if you join this unusual art, you will feel real aesthetic pleasure and touch the world of beauty.
- It is very interesting! The process of creating a picture is unpredictable, and from that even more unusual, creative and full of surprises. And if you draw with someone during the game, it will give you real pleasure. For example, you can start a picture, and your partner (they may well be a child or spouse) let him continue it. Continue to draw in stages in stages, and at the end evaluate the result of co-creation. He will amuse you or surprise you.
- You do not need to be an experienced artist or a talented person.Nobody expects anything from you, so just relax, draw and enjoy the process.
- You will be able to splash out your emotions and be charged with positive.
- You do not have to buy materials or devices. Sand can be used repeatedly, it does not need to be changed, as well as the base.
- This is a great pastime.
There is simply no drawback in drawing sand. These include perhaps only the likelihood of contamination of the workplace, as well as the need to use special tools (but they can be done with their own hands).
Some useful tips for emerging artists:
- If you are worried about the possible pollution of the apartment due to spilling sand, then simply cover the floor with an oilcloth or foil.
- Do not expect that you get the picture the first time, it is unlikely to succeed. Be prepared for the fact that at first you will not draw very well, but eventually master the technique and see the first results.
- If you feel that you will not succeed, then either change your mindset and do not think about failure, or postpone the exercise for a while. When you feel ready, or feel a surge of inspiration, proceed!
- If you simply do not know what to draw, then try to see the photos of the finished works and borrow some ideas. You can also use simple images as examples, such as book illustrations. And over time, you can learn to draw whole pictures, including landscapes and portraits. But it will come with experience.
- When you learn to draw animated scenes, start shooting them on camera. One such story can be an interesting and unique cartoon for a child.
Start drawing with sand! You will see, it is very interesting and pleasant!
7 signs of bad taste
How to make an injection
How to clean the computer
Why are there many marsupial animals in Australia?
What is antiseptic