How to use a knife?
The knife is the most ancient of labor tools thought up by the person. In everyday life, we use knives constantly: in the kitchen, in nature, in the office. In our article we will give some tips on how to use a knife and fork at the table, as well as describe the use of various types of can openers.
Knife and Fork: Rules of Etiquette
Suppose you are invited to dinner. You are in front of the table and saw a lot of appliances. How to use them? First of all, pay attention to the table setting: all the instruments that lie to the right, you need to take the right hand, and all the instruments on the left - with his left hand. Here are the most basic rules for using a fork and knife:
- the knife must be held in such a way that its end rests on the palm of your right hand;
- The index finger must be on the upper edge of the knife, so that it is possible to press on it when cutting;
- the knife is held by the thumb and middle finger, and the others are usually slightly bent towards the palm;
- the fork is held in such a way that the teeth look down, and its end rests on the palm of his left hand;
- The index finger must be on the top edge of the plug so that you can string the pieces;
- the fork is held by the thumb and middle finger, and the others are usually slightly bent in the palm;
- the knife and fork are held obliquely and not perpendicularly to the plate;
- if the dish can be divided with a fork into pieces, then the knife is not served, and the fork is held in the right hand;
- do not eat small pieces of food and some side dishes with a fork;
- never eat with a knife at the table;
- if you want to give someone a knife, then do it only with the handle forward.
The invention of the can opener began with the invention of the canning method itself in 1810. Initially, cans were made of sheet metal with a thickness of half a centimeter, so canned food was opened with chisels, hammers, bayonets, and pocket knives. Only in 1858, when cans were made from thin sheet metal, did the “Warner Opener” appear, which was something like a reduced bayonet and a sickle. Over the next decades, various modifications of can openers were invented (with a small key, with a wheel, with a gear wheel).In 1931, the electric can opener was first invented.
So, how to use a can opener? Today there are three types of can openers:
- Simple can opener. Everyone knows this knife since childhood: it has the shape of a handle with two blades - straight and rounded. He is considered an indispensable assistant and at home, and on trips. In order to open a tin can, you need to stick a straight blade into the lid and, resting on a rounded blade, open the can clockwise using physical force. One of the drawbacks of this knife is that, after opening, sharp jags remain on the can, about which you can cut yourself.
- Manual can opener. In order to open the can, it is necessary to open the knife handles, place the wheel on the edge of the can and squeeze the handles in the starting position in order to pierce the can. Then gently turn the lever clockwise around the entire jar. If the can opener does not cut the jar, then turn the lever counterclockwise and repeat the opening.
- Electric can opener. It can operate on batteries and from the network in 35-40 watts. A noticeable advantage of such knives is that it opens the knife without human participation, does not leave jags on the edges of the jar and does not come into contact with food.In order to open the tin can, turn on the knife in the outlet, press the special lever that lifts the wheel and place the edge of the can under it. Pierce the jar with a wheel, and, pressing the start button, hold the jar at the bottom. The wheel will make a circle on the can, the open lid will stick to the magnet mounted on the knife and the can will open.
In order to have the ability to properly use a knife, you also need to properly store it. Never use the knife as a screwdriver or a cleaver, after each use, be sure to wash and store separately from other items out of the reach of children.
Why dream bathing
Landscapes: basic views and rules of use
What dreams station
What is the army
Anterior pituitary function
How to sheathe the steering wheel
When to plant beans
What is a ballad