How to PROPERLY Wash Your Face | You've Been Doing it ALL WRONG!
How to Keep Your Face Clean
Keeping a clean face requires only a little bit of effort, and the results are rewarding: a glowing, acne-free complexion. This wikiHow will give you advice on how to keep your face clean.
Short Video: How to Keep Your Face Clean
If you’re washing your face twice a day but you still have oily skin and pimples, try applying a toner to your forehead, nose, and chin daily. Exfoliate your skin once a week to get rid of dead skin cells, and do a facial at home or at a salon to keep your face looking fresh. Keep your body healthy by drinking 8 glasses of water per day and eating fruits, vegetables, and low-fat products instead of junk food.Keep reading for more tips and ideas for long-term care, such as how to choose makeup for your skin type!
Keeping Your Face Clean Daily
Figure out what kind of skin you have.Is your skin dry, oily or normal? This is what you have to figure out so you can make sure you have the right face products. There are so many different types that it can be confusing.
- If you have normal skin, your skin has the right balance of moisture, oil and durability. This is what you're trying to achieve with keeping it clean.
- If you have oily skin you face might appear shiny, greasy or oil only a few hours after washing.
- If you have dry skin, it's often flaky.
- If you have sensitive skin, your skin is often tight or itchy and you experience allergic reactions when you come into contact with certain chemicals.
- A lot of people have combination skin, where part of your face is oily while a different part is dry.
Use a simple face wash twice a day.Wash once in the morning and once in the evening. Everyone's skin is different and needs different things. You may have to test out a few different face washes to find the one that works best for you. What you really want from a face wash is something that cleans away dirt and germs and excess oils, but doesn't strip your skin of its healthy oils.
- Picking your cleanser is based on your skin type, how often you wear make-up, and how often you work out. For instance, if your skin is oily, you'll want a cleanser that has a low pH level, which will be more effective in cleaning the oil. If you have sensitive skin, you won't want the cleansers that are full of chemicals.
- Avoid using ordinary soaps, which are too harsh for your face and can strip it of its natural oils.
- It's best to rinse your face with warm water or cool water. Hot water strips the healthy natural oils from your skin.
- You need to wash your face after exercising to get rid of any sweat and dirt and oils that might clog your pores.
Pat your skin dry with a clean towel.Don't scrub your face dry, be gentle. The skin on your face is sensitive. Make sure that the towel is clean. Otherwise, you'll be transferring bacteria to your clean face.
Use toners.While not necessary, toners can be a great help to people with oily skin, acne, or badly plugged pores. Toners help remove excess oils, and dead skin after that remain after cleansing. This is an excellent way to add active ingredients like retinoids, antioxidants and exfoliants to your skin regimen.
- Apply the toner after cleansing with a clean cotton facial pad to your forehead, nose and chin (the so-called "t-zone"). Move the pad in gentle circles, avoiding the eye area.
- Find the right toner for your skin type. Certain formulations can help exfoliate acne-prone skin; others contain anti-inflammatory properties for sensitive.
- Many dermatologists recommended not using an alcohol based toner because it's too drying even for oily skin.
Treat the skin around your eyes gently.Don't rub your eyes, or use harsh make-up removers on them. That part of the face is delicate. So, likewise, don't splash yourself awake in the morning with cold water.
Don't touch your face.Touching your face can spread the bacteria which cause your pores to become inflamed.If you have to touch your face to apply makeup or face cream, wash your hands first to make sure they're clean of oils.
- Also, try to avoid leaning your face against items that collect sebum and skin residue, such as a phone. Sebum is a light oily substance secreted by the skin glands which moisturizes skin and hair.
Use makeup that is suitable for your skin type.Try to buy make-up that has "noncomedogenic" or "non-acnegenic" on the label if you can, as these are designed to help prevent acne and breakouts and won't clog your pores.
- Make sure that you aren't using old make-up. Skincare products, like food, have an expiration date. Using them after that date will do more harm than good.
- Try to use mineral based or water based makeup instead of choosing oil based ones as they make skin look greasy and dull.
Drink lots of water.Drink at least eight glasses of water. Staying hydrated and making sure that your body has plenty of water means that your body will be better able to function properly, including maintaining the health and cleanliness of your skin.
Follow a healthy diet.A healthy diet includes vegetables and fruits and eliminates sugar and "junk foods."
- Try low-fat dairy products. A low-fat yogurt has vitamin A, something our skin is dependent upon. It also has acidophilus, a "live" bacteria that helps promote intestinal health, which in turn can help skin.
- Eat foods that have a high antioxidant content like blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and plums.
- Try foods that deliver essential fatty acids needed for healthy skin like salmon, walnuts, and flax seed. Essential fatty acids promote healthy cell membranes, which in turn promote healthy skin.
Keeping Your Face Clean Long-Term
Have a facial.You can either go to a beautician and have someone do a facial for you, or you can try one of the many home facials. Remember to use the one which goes for your skin type. If your skin is oily, try a facial that is for oily skin.
- A good home facial mask is a mixture of milk and honey together. After blending the ingredients, put the mixture on your face for 30 minutes, then clean your face with warm water.
Exfoliate your skin.Gently exfoliating your skin will make you get rid of dead cells in your face, which can make your skin look dark and rough. Exfoliate your skin once a week, or once a month. Don't do it more than once a week, because it can strip your skin of important essential oils.
- A nice exfoliation scrub can increase the circulation in your face giving you a healthy, rosy glow.
- All you need for a home exfoliating scrub is an exfoliant like salt or sugar, a binder like honey or water, and a moisturizer that includes vitamin E oil, jojoba oil or even olive oil. If you have oily skin, you can use a mashed banana or avocado as a moisturizer.
Get rid of pimples.While it can be satisfying to pick at the pimples and pop them with your fingernails, that is the exact wrong way to deal with a pimple! Wash your hands well before dealing with pimples to avoid infection.
- Avoid touching or trying to pop the pimple or you might irritate it. Popping a pimple can lead to scarring if you're not careful.
- Apply a cold, wet washcloth or teabag on the spot for three to five minutes throughout the day. This will help lessen the irritation.
- Use a spot treatment that contains 1 percent or 2 percent salicylic acid, which is often less irritating than benzoyl.
- Applying Visine on a cotton swab to the spot can reduce the redness.
QuestionShould I wash my face again after working out?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, wash your face again after working out to remove sweat from your skin.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is a good face mask for oily skin?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEgg whites are good as a mask, as they absorb excess oil on the skin. Mix one egg white, a teaspoon of honey, and a teaspoon lemon juice, and apply it to your face. Keep for 20 minutes, then wash your face with lukewarm water.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do I do if my pimples begin to itch?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDon't scratch them -- they will get really bad. Just wash your face twice a day and then put lotion or something moisturizing on your face.Thanks!
QuestionI have normal skin, but still I don't have a clean face. How do I clean it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUse a cleanser that is best for you. Clean your face thoroughly two times a day.Thanks!
QuestionWhat can I use to get rid of acne?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThere are a number of available treatments for acne, both over the counter and prescription. If you feel that your acne is serious, consult a dermatologist to figure out the right option for you.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get rid of pimples?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPimples occur mostly because of stress and tension, so don't worry. They will go away after some days!Thanks!
QuestionHow can a 29-year-old best treat a sunburn?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerVitamin E gel, and staying out of the sun if possible. If impossible, keep the area covered in light colored, breathing clothing. This helps keep heat away from the area, causing further discomfort.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get my fair-colored skin back?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry a mask of 1 egg white, 2 - 3 drops lemon juice, 4 - 5 drops of water, and honey.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I keep my face clean if I am a man?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerExfoliates, toners and moisturizers work perfectly on men, just as they do on women. If you feel embarrassed, then do your skin routine early in the morning and right before bed.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get rid of acne, pimples, blackhead, and/or whiteheads on my nose?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWash your face daily with water and an antibacterial face soap. Try to use one that is labeled for treating acne. If your acne really bothers you, visit your doctor and dermatologist. He or she will then recommend an over-the-counter cream, or give you a prescription cream to use daily.Thanks!
Can I use colgate and Vaseline to get rid of pimples and dark spots?
Will my face get clean if I just use water?
How do I get rid of pimples while keeping my face clean?
How do I know if my face is oily, dry, or normal?
How do I keep my face clean if I have very hard water?
- Never scrub your skin. Dab and wipe it gently.
- If you have a collagen (cloth) mask, you can get a container and squeeze all of the good stuff out of the mask and pour it from the package into the container. It dries faster, you can apply it to hard-to-reach areas, and you can reuse it for later.
- Try putting honey on your pimples, that is a good home remedy instead of popping them!
- Look out for over-cleansing during winter, when it's tempting to take long hot showers. Over-cleansing will dry your skin in out more quickly.
- If you have sensitive skin, try the milk and honey mix on a small part of skin before applying to the full face.
- Allergies to the products used in the face mixture can produce a variety of reactions. If you do have a reaction to a product, stop using it and find something else.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Français: , Português: , 中文: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Español: , Italiano: , Nederlands: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Čeština: , العربية: , हिन्दी: , Tiếng Việt: , 한국어: , ไทย: , 日本語:
Video: How to Keep Your Face Clean ✩ ✩ Top 5 Health Tips ✩ ✩
How to Pick Music for a Funeral
How to Cook Onions Properly
The Best Candle for Every ZodiacSign
How to Bring Out the Natural Curl in Your Hair
How to Afford Culinary School
Prevent Cancer With Fish
Pierpaolo Piccioli Was Inspired by The Amish for His RED Valentino Fall 2019 RTW Collection
Watch Jeff Goldblum, Jodie 50 Cent Audition For Young Han Solo
How to Alphabetize Cells in Excel
10 Secrets of Pet Groomers
How to Get Zinc Metal