How to help pets survive the heat?
Many of us will agree that there are practically no flaws in the summertime, with the exception of just one moment - this is a strong, sometimes unbearable, heat. Of course, the summer should be hot, but when the thermometers rise above the mark of 35 °, and our houses and apartments heat up to such an extent that you feel like in the oven.
But we know how to help ourselves with an excessive rise in temperature and fluctuations, and what to do to our pets, who remain completely defenseless against changes in the weather?
Naturally, we are responsible for those who have been tamed, and this means that the owners must follow the state of health and behavior of their pet, especially during times of natural disasters. That is why every responsible pet owner should know how to help him survive the intense heat and, at the same time, maintain his health.
Perhaps not everyone knows, but heat stroke is a dangerous phenomenon that can lead to serious, and sometimes irreversible, consequences.If you already see that your little animal doesn’t feel good, then it should be urgently shown to the veterinarian, whose phone numbers and addresses of clinics you should always have on hand even if you go, for example, out of town.
Who should be treated with particular vigilance?
- to animals with a weak heart;
- to older pets, as well as puppies and kittens up to 6-7 months of age;
- to domestic ferrets, hamsters and guinea pigs. Despite the fact that in nature, these rodents often live in hot deserts and steppes, they very poorly tolerate strong heat. That is why they build themselves underground holes in which they sit until the onset of evening coolness.
- to rocks with a "flattened" or "short" muzzle, which are always difficult to breathe;
- to animals that in the past have already suffered once from heat exposure.
Of course, drugs from heatstroke or overheating have not yet been invented, so it is very important to observe basic safety measures and also care for the pet in such a way as to really benefit him, and not to harm even more.
Pet Care Tips in the Heat
- Carefully control the diet of your four-friend: it is advisable not to give him too heavy and fatty foods in the heat of summer. Ideal - light dairy diet, steamed vegetables, cereals, dietary meat. Do not overfeed your pet, if the animal refuses to eat in a strong heat - this is normal. Impose exactly as much as it can eat at one time, and after half an hour a bowl with all its contents must be removed so that the food in it does not disappear.
- Always make sure that the drinker of the animal is full of fresh and clean water, it is desirable that it was cool, but not icy. It is necessary to change the water in it every day, if the room in which there is a pet is very large (many rooms), then place on it several such drinking bowls.
- In the heat, it is necessary to reduce or even remove day walks with dogs: better walk in the morning and evening, when the sun is not so active, and there is a slight coolness in the air. Walk around water or in the shade of a tree.
- If your cat or dog is left alone in the house, then provide her with maximum movement around the apartment: it is desirable that they can get into the bathroom or toilet where they can relax on a cool tile.If you leave the house for a short while, you can leave the air conditioner on, if there is one. As for the fans, try to keep the animal from being directly in the draft from it - so it can easily catch a cold. Try to create a natural draft at home, but watch out for open windows - a pet may accidentally fall out of them.
- If you see that the pet suffers completely and cannot find a cool place for itself, then build an improvised cool bed for it: collect a few bottles of water, cool well and wrap in a towel. From above, lay a bed and lay your pet on it.
- Constantly bathe and rinse the animal in water is also not recommended, but wet it forehead, nose, paw pads - it is even possible.
- Strongly fluffy cats in the summer can be cut, this service exists in special hairdressing for animals. But to cut or not to cut long-haired dogs - here the opinions of experts often differ. This is especially true of those breeds that are not allowed by the rules of the exterior: this haircut will bring little benefit, but the psychological trauma for the animal is ensured.Therefore, before agreeing to such a procedure, be sure to consult with a specialist you trust.
What to do if heat stroke still happened?
Thermal shock is a dangerous phenomenon that occurs quickly and often leads to severe and sometimes fatal consequences.
It can provoke a strong increase in the body temperature of the animal, which causes increased drowsiness, weakness, to which, sometimes, the kidneys, liver, brain and heart fail.
But, fortunately, such unfortunate consequences can be prevented, especially if you catch yourself in time. So, if you have seen the first attacks of heat stroke in your animal - drowsiness, slow reaction, shortness of breath, mournful whine, weakness, uncertain walk, convulsions - immediately proceed to action.
It is necessary as quickly as possible to lower the body temperature of the animal: move it to a cooler room, if possible, ensure the flow of air, and begin to cool with cool water.
Put your pet so that the head is below the entire body (so you will ensure blood flow to the brain) and pour armpit and abdomen from a bottle or puller, wet his mouth and put a damp towel on his head.
Do not completely wrap in a wet cloth - as you commit the cooling process. Watch the state of the animal - if it is better, then continue to repeat the above steps until the state stabilizes. Of course, ideally, the pet should still be shown to the doctor - sometimes the above symptoms are signs of other serious diseases.
Original box - no big deal
Where to meet
How to count square meters
What members like girls
Therapeutic and beneficial properties of sea kale
How to draw life