The Satanic Revolution | The Witch x The Satanic Temple | Official Featurette HD
How to Become a LaVeyan Satanist
Despite the name, Laveyan Satanism has little to do with Satan from the Christian Bible. In fact, Laveyan Satanists do not even believe in the devil. Created by Anton Szandor LaVey in 1966, Satanism is an atheistic “religion” focusing on pride, originality and strength. Satanism is, at its core, individualism and free thinking. One need only live their life according to a few simple tenets to be considered a Satanist, but there are a few ways you can become officially recognized.
Becoming a Member
Register with the Church of Satan.The Church of Satan’s basic membership provides a crimson card of identification, and requires registration on their website. In addition to filling in your personal information, the church requires a fee of 0 in US dollars to become a member. Aside from this fee, you must also write a statement, signed and dated, requesting to join the Church of Satan. This material can be found on the Church of Satan website.
- There are no local branches of the Church of Satan. All memberships are processed out of the New York office.
- No other requirements or fees are required after this registration period.
- Keep your membership card safe. It is how you will officially identify yourself to other members of the organization.
Apply to become an active member.Download the Active Membership application and fill out the information required. Active members in the Church of Satan take a more visible role in church activities, and may be asked to represent Satanism in various functions.
- Several questions on the application refer to The Satanic Bible. Make sure to do your homework before applying.
- Read "The Satanic Scriptures" to gain more insight into what it means to be a Satanist, and the thought process behind the founders of the religion, to be better prepared for the application.
- You must first be a registered member to become an active member.
Rise through the hierarchy.Live like a Satanist and become a good reflection of the church to rise through the ranks. Though there is no official disclosed methodology for gaining rank, spreading good will regarding the church and representing its teachings in a positive light are advised for getting noticed and promoted by the higher ranking members of the church.
- The Church of Satan has six ranks for its members: “Registered,” “Active Member,” “Witch/Warlock,” “Priestess/Priest,” “Magistra/Magister,” and “Maga/Magus.”
- Holding a Third, Fourth, or Fifth degree considers you a part of the Priesthood of Mendes, and grants the title “Reverend.”
Studying the Tenets of Satanism
Read The Satanic Bible.Many of the theories and practices of Satanism are featured within The Satanic Bible, which was written by the founder of the religion, Anton Szandor LaVey. You should read the Satanic Bible prior to applying as a Satanist if possible, though it is not strictly necessary for basic membership.
- The Satanic Bible is available at most book stores, as well on Amazon.com
- Read literature that helped inspire The Church of Satan. to get a better idea of how you should behave. These include works by philosophers such as Friedrich Nietzche, Ayn Rand and Michael Foucault.
Acknowledge the Nine Satanic Statements.The Nine Satanic Statements give a framework to the ideology and way of life for Satanists. Remember these statements during your journey as a Satanist in order to act in accord to the Church of Satan’s expectations.
- Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
- Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
- Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
- Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
- Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
- Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
- Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
- Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!
Know the Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth.These rules dictate how a Satanist should live their lives in accordance with the religion. Similar to the Ten Commandments, following these rules are meant to bring prosperity and goodness to you, and those around you. The aim of Satanism is not necessarily spreading good, but living in a way that brings you joy without harming others. The Satanic Rules reflect this. These are the Eleven Satanic Rules!
- Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
- Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
- When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
- If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
- Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
- Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
- Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
- Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
- Do not harm little children.
- Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
- When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
Remember the Nine Satanic Sins.The Nine Satanic Sins represent the attributes that Satanists are advised to avoid at all cost. In combination with the Satanic Rules of the Earth, they create a roadmap for the Satanist to live their life honestly and productively. Avoid these sins whenever possible.
- Stupidity. The Satanist should endeavor to educate himself in all things.
- Pretentiousness. Don’t posture as something greater than you are – this can lead to further sins.
- Solipsism. Do not forget that the world includes many more than just yourself. Do unto others as they do unto you.
- Self-deceit. Don’t act like something you know you are not.
- Herd Conformity. The antithesis of thinking for yourself.
- Lack of Perspective. Though independence is important in Satanism, do not let it cloud your judgment.
- Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies. Move forward with your future, but never forget the past.
- Counterproductive Pride. Pride is important for recognizing your worth, but do not let it get you in over your head.
- Lack of Aesthetics. Take care of yourself and your body.
Living as a Satanist
Live life independently.The Church of Satan espouses independent thinking as one of its greatest traits. For the Church of Satan, “Satan” represents the power of choice. You are free to disagree with others – even other Satanists.
- Part of being independent is questioning your own beliefs and assumptions. Satanism is steeped heavily in questioning the things around you.
- Make your own decisions. Don’t feel the need to agree with a fellow Satanist just because they are a Satanist. It is expected that you make your own decisions and hold your own opinions to truly be independent.
Practice rituals.Rituals, also known as “Greater” and “Lesser Magic,” serve as a practice designed to self-actualize one’s desires. Much like meditation or yoga, rituals involve focusing the mind on a particular goal or manner of thinking to achieve that goal.
- Rituals need not be performed under candlelight or the dark of the moon. Concentration and the ability to focus are all that is necessary. You can achieve this however works best for you.
- Greater Magic is concerned with the self, and changing your own thoughts and feelings.
- Lesser Magic is concerned with changing the thoughts and feelings of others through your own efforts.
Find other members.Members of the Church of Satan used to meet in “grottos” to socialize and discuss the church. Though they no longer exist officially, members still gather together, though no official channel for discovering gatherings exist.
- Independent channels such as Craigslist or Backpage can be helpful in finding likeminded individuals.
- Some social websites exist for finding fellow Satanists, including the Satanic International Networkand The 600 Club.
- Take care when meeting strangers. Make sure they are official card carrying members of the religion, and remember, you won't necessarily get on with or agree with every Satanist you meet!
Celebrate holidays as a Satanist.The biggest holiday for those living as Satanists is the follower’s own birthday. As a self-centered religion, no day is a greater celebration of the self than your birthday. Take it seriously, and throw yourself a tremendous celebration.
- Satanists also worship nature, making the changing of seasons, such as the equinox or solstices, a great chance for celebration.
- Halloween is celebrated for what it has become. Many Satanists enjoy the idea that, just once a year, the general public is willing to become self-centered.
- Christmas is considered a celebration of indulgence after the original Pagan holiday Saturnalia. Thus, despite what Christmas stands for to Christians, Satanists have no issues celebrating this holiday. Buy presents for your friends, drink, and have fun!
Indulge responsibly.If a substance is legal, you may partake in the substance. However, the Church of Satan urges indulgence, not compulsion. Addiction runs against the ideals of the Church of Satan. Survival is among the highest of laws!
- Satanists are advised to engage in illegal substances at their own peril. Though independence is important to Satanists, the church does not condone illegal activities.
QuestionIs it a Satanic sin to have a mental health issue, such as depression or anxiety?Community AnswerNo, the Church of Satan does not discriminate against you for having a mental illness.Thanks!
QuestionDo I have to officially register in order to be recognized as a Satanist?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. You do not have to register to be recognized as a Satanist, though you can if you would like to.Thanks!
QuestionIf I became a satanist, and decided not to be anymore, would anything bad happen to me?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDefinitely not. This type of Satanism doesn't believe in Satan. It revolves around you and keeping yourself mentally and physically healthy. If you decide to stay in or leave the church nothing will happen as there is no entity to do so.Thanks!
QuestionI want to join but I don't have money. Do I need a certain amount to join?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou don't have to become a registered member. Satanism does not discriminate against the less financially sound.Thanks!
QuestionCan I become a LaVeyan Satanist if I have a heart condition?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, LaVeyan Satanism will not discriminate due to any health complications.Thanks!
QuestionIf I become a LaVeyan Satanist, will I gain a lot of money?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBecoming a LaVeyan Satanist offers no magic powers or attributes. You can earn money by living through the tenants of Satanism, including independent thinking and hard work.Thanks!
QuestionIf I am 13 and want to become a spiritual Satanist, how can I tell my Catholic parents?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt probably won't matter what words you use to communicate this to them. They will no doubt be horrified and possibly bring you to their priest for an exorcism.Thanks!
QuestionI'm 13 and thinking about Laveyan Satanism. This may sound stupid but I don't believe it to be evil, so I'm concerned about the "destroy them" reference in this article. I'm assuming this is meant in a non-literal way?Community AnswerLaveyan Satanism rituals do mention and advocate placing a curse on your enemies. However, this is not a requirement and you should feel free to act according to your own conscience.Thanks!
QuestionDoes the Church of Satan discriminate based on gender, race, or sexual orientation?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionHow does the Church of Satan feel about people with mental disorders?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe Church Of Satan has no problem with someone having a mental disorder. They do not discriminate.Thanks!
- When researching Satanism, be certain that you are reading from credible sources. You can find a list of these sources on The Church of Satan website.
- Remember that Laveyan Satanists are atheistic in nature meaning that they do not believe in the supernatural.
Video: Satanic Black Mass Draws Christian Anger | NBC News
How to Tie a Sarong Dress Pareo
How to Order Coffee
Liver Risk Found with Arthritis Supplement
How to Train Havanese Dogs
How to Test the Air Quality in Your Home
Free Delivery Free Returns At Matchesfashion.com
How to Bowl a Yorker
How to Create a Facebook Page on Android
From Alexa Chung to Cara Delevingne, The Best Outfits From London Fashion Week
Mystery Rashes Linked to Pre-Moistened Wipes
It’s time to have babies’ – up close with Marie Claire’s July issue cover star Kirsten Dunst
The Best Grilled Ribeye Steak and Beer Pairing You’ll Ever Have
How to Delete a Skype Account
10 Best Interior Design Instagram Accounts To Follow